Last modified: August 28, 2023
- We collect offline or through any means, including on any other website that APCIA or any third party operates;
- Is “aggregate” information, which is data we collect about the use of the Website or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed; or
- Any third party may collect through any application or content that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about Users of the Website, including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, including your name, physical address and zip code, e-mail address, and telephone number (collectively “Personal Information”); and/or
- Information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Website, and/or usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us on or through the Website, including:
- Information you provide by filling in Website forms, including forms you complete to register to use the Website, forms you complete to engage in public official outreach via the Website, or forms you complete to report a problem;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses) you cause to be sent on your behalf or if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete; and
- Your search queries on the Website.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site, including:
- Details of your visits to the Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, resources you access, and other information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies; and
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
Details about Information Collected Automatically
Information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may associate statistical data with personal information you provide to us. If we do associate statistical or aggregate data with your personal information, we will treat it as your Personal Information. Automatically collecting statistical data helps us improve the Website and deliver a better and more personalized service. The technologies we use for this automatic data collection include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also known as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit APCIA, for example, to count visitors to pages and for other statistics like recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity.
How We Use Information We Collect
We use information we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present the Website and its contents to you and to store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Website according to your individual interests;
- To provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- To ensure that grassroots communications you direct be sent on your behalf are sent to the elected official relevant to the jurisdiction in which you reside;
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Speed up your searches;
- Recognize you when you return to the Website; and
- For any other purpose for which you provide information or give your consent.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose, without restriction, aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual. We do not to share the personal information we collect from you with third parties, except as described in this Policy.
- To our members, subsidiaries, and affiliates;
- To organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles or objectives;
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties who support our business and who are contractually bound to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of APCIA’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by APCIA about the Website Users is among the assets transferred;
- With your consent or to fulfill the purpose for which you provide information and for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide it;
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of APCIA, our members, our subsidiaries, and our affiliates, which includes exchanging information with companies or organizations for purposes of enhancing security or fraud protection.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
If you are a Registered User, you can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your “My Profile” page and the “Edit your Info” link.
You may also send us an e-mail to Compliance@apci.org in order to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you provided to the Website. Please note that we cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause information to be incorrect.
Your California Privacy Rights
Civil Code Section §1798.83 permits Website Users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to Compliance@apci.org or write us at Compliance, Attn: VOAI-19 Compliance, 8700 West Bryn Mawr Ave., Ste. 1200S, Chicago, Illinois 60631-3512.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, or disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers behind firewalls.
However, the safety and security of your information also depends on you. You are responsible for keeping confidential the login information you use to access the Website. We ask you not to share your login information with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we have put in place safeguards to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. Notwithstanding, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.